Research & Development
ED's mission in R&D revolves around two axes:
- Design and develop the ICT technologies of tomorrow, leading to new competitive and innovative products and services that reflect the upcoming needs of citizens, society, government and businesses.
- Advance the scientific knowledge and technical skills of the company, remaining at the edge of competitiveness and technological development.
The company has over 15 years of experience in the R&D domain, with a track record of successfully bringing research results into commercial products made available to a variety of large organisations in more than 27 countries worldwide. Having established long-standing collaborations with universities, research institutes and R&D departments of industrial organisations complement our capacity for challenging technological innovation.
ED has long experience in managing R&D projects and leading international consortia, as well as in implementing complex and technologically advanced IT projects for big organisations, following international standards and procedures such as ITIL and PRINCE2.
Research interests & related expertise
- Smart cyber-physical systems, smart systems integration and the Internet of Things: interfaces with bio-, nano- and generally heterogeneous interconnected objects for security applications in project TERAEYE.
- Advanced cloud infrastructures: migration of public services for cities in project STORM.
- Tools and methods for software development: evolutionary adaptive software development techniques in EVOTEST, semantic web services for distributed knowledge access in SEEMP, semantic-based interoperability frameworks in SATINE.
- Digital learning: personalised learning paths for dyslectic children in AGENT-DYSL. Participating in ERASMUS+ and other learning activities.
- Active and independent living and healthcare: knowledge driven community in healthcare in COCOON, semantic medical and biomedical informatics in SEMANTIC-MINING.
- Digital social platforms and eGovernment: participative eGovernment policy development in EACE, knowledge-driven networked community for health care in COCOON, distributed collaboration for judicial sites in SECURE-JUSTICE, networking for crisis and disasters management in COSMIC.
- Security Applications and critical Infrastructures: airport security inspection in TERAEYE, decision support for healthcare systems crises in COncORDE, preparedness for large-scale and cross-border disasters in TACTIC.
- Advanced digital gaming/gamification technologies and ICT for cultural heritage & creative industries.
- ICT for Manufacturing: Coordinating HORSE and I4MS action for the IoT and BPM based robotics in factories.
- Energy Efficiency: Mobile based collaboration and interfaces with Building Management Systems and other innovative applications.
- SPACE-O (H2020) "Space Assisted Water Quality Forecasting Platform for Optimized Decision Making in Water Supply Services": The SPACE-O project aims to integrate satellite technology and in situ monitoring with advanced hydrological, water quality models and ICT tools into a powerful decision support system for generating real time forecasting water flows and quality data in reservoirs.
- iCROSS (H2020) (Coordinator) "Portable Border Control System": A 2-stage-procedure solution that uses modern software and hardware technologies in order to enable fast and reliable border crossing of travellers.
- SMARTRESILIENCE (H2020) "Smart Resilience Indicators for Smart Critical Infrastructure": SmartResilience project will allow benchmarking the best-practice solutions and identifying the early warnings, improving resilience of Smart Critical Infrastructures against new threats.
- ChArGED (H2020) (Coordinator) "CleAnweb Gamified Energy Disaggregation": ChArGED proposes a framework that aims to facilitate achieving greater energy efficiency and reductions of wasted energy in public buildings.
- HORSE (H2020) (Coordinator) "Smart integrated Robotics system for SMEs controlled by Internet of Things based on dynamic manufacturing processes": Technology deployment and uptake of robotic technologies, BPM and IoT in the manufacturing domain.
- COSMIC (FP7): Specific Support Action (SSA), coordinated by ED, on the role of social networks in the mitigation of the consequences of crises and disasters.
- COncORDE (FP7): RTD project on the provision of decision support for health-care systems crises.
- TACTIC (FP7): Specific Support Action (SSA) on tools which increase preparedness for large-scale and cross-border disasters amongst communities and societies in Europe.
- STORM (FP7): CIP ICT-PSP project, on the migration of public services for cities to a cloud-based paradigm.
- SATINE: RTD project, on a secure semantic-based interoperability framework for exploiting web services platforms in conjunction with peer-to-peer networks for the tourism industry.
- SEMANTIC MINING: Network of Excellence, on the establishment of Europe as the international scientific leader in medical and biomedical informatics.
- SECURE-JUSTICE: RTD project, on innovative secure technologies embedded in a distributed communication and collaboration framework, implemented in multiple judicial sites.
- COCOON: Integrated Project, on knowledge driven & dynamically adaptive networked communities for health care professionals aimed at reducing risk management in their daily practices in European health care systems.
- SEEMP: RTD project, on the design and implementation of an interoperable architecture for public e-Employment services, exploring semantically enabled web services for distributed knowledge access and sharing.
- EACE: Specific Support Action (SSA), on recommendations for accelerating the adoption of Collaborative Working Environments within the general current EU-level policy developments in the Information Society area.
- TERAEYE: Integrated Project, on a low cost and fully passive Terahertz inspection system, based on nano-technology for security applications, such as airports security systems, railway and metro stations, and detection of chemical and biological harmful substances.
- EVOTEST: RTD project on the combination of evolutionary adaptive techniques with software engineering techniques such as slicing, program transformation, and reliability analysis, applicable to the testing of complex software systems.
- AGENT-DYSL: RTD project on accommodative intelligent educational environments for dyslexic learners, aimed at improving the reading abilities of children.